A week in the sun


Wow, what happened?  Did someone declare summer 'open' and cut a ribbon?

I don't know about your part of the world, I know some of you will be heading into winter, but here in the usually grey old UK, it is hot, hot, hot!  After all our grumbling and griping all of the chilly spring long, the sun has finally hit and I think most of us and lapping it up.

It's been lovely to do those summery things like cooking on the barbecue and eating al fresco.  Basking in the sun, or in my case, sheltering in the shade.  Splashing in paddling pools or drinking Pimm's.  That's what I've been up to this week.  Gathering rosebuds while I may.


We've also had a little celebration this past week.  A certain little niece of mine has clocked up her first year.  It's gone in a flash.  Well, it has for me, in the role of Aunty anyway.  She's a very cheery sole, quite the cheeky little joker actually.  Her smile is a delight and her chuckles are the cutest thing you'll ever hear.  She's getting a nice shock of hair and is constantly on the move, starting to totter on her toes more and more.  We were invited to a lovely family tea-party in the sun, where the children played in pools and the grown-ups munched on home-made scones and cooling clotted cream.  Yum!  It's been lovely to see her change and grow this year, I can't wait to see what the next one brings.

But it's also nice to enjoy those more peaceful moments, and mine are spent, as often as I can manage, crafting away while tucked in some shady spot.  I've been taking my crochet outside, under the tree and my trusty parasol, re-arranging it regularly for optimum sun protection.  At the peak of the day though, it's even been a little too warm for that, so then I scuttle off indoors to find a cooler place to carry on.



Fortunately my project of choice is these little triangle motifs made with a cotton yarn, so nothing to drape over me and working with cotton is a little cooler than wool.  Although the time is fast approaching when I'll have to join them.  We're off on holiday at the end of the week though, so I'm hoping to manage that bit in the cool air-conditioned car while driving down.  It's for a new pattern idea I'm working on, for a shawl, a very perfect summery shawl I'm hoping.  I've been working away in that pretty mint green, but there's some  more colour to come.  Those balls on the right will be coming into play too, so I'll have to pack those to come along on holiday with me.  Hopefully when I come back, it'll be ready to show you.

But in the meantime, I think I know you all well enough to be sure that'll you'll be wanting the name of the yarn I'm working with.  Am I right?  I thought so... it's Drops Safran. (On sale at time of going to press - just saying!*)  I've not used it before, but I'm liking it.  It's a bit thinner than DK, more of a sport-weight but it's got a nice twist and so doesn't split when you're working it and there are some fab colours.  I've actually just ordered some more, different colours for another plan I have in mind.



The other thing I've been working on this week is this little Louisa Harding caplet.  It's been in my queue for about a hundred years, with plans to make it out of about 20 different yarns at one time or another.  Finally I have started and have selected Rowan Pure Wool in this absolutely delightful shade of duck egg blue.  Which seems to have been one of my most favourite colours for ages now.  In fact, I have quite a 'blue' era that I've been going through behind the scenes over here, but more on that when I return from my travels...

I shall only be gone for a little over a week, but I'm looking forward to having a relaxing time and cooling by the French coast in this wonderfully warm weather.

See you when I return.

S x




*No affiliation on benefit to me or anything of the kind.  This is just my natural desire to be helpful in the matter of stash enlargement at work!


My posts, delivered to you...

      RSS      Feedly      Bloglovin'      Email




Comments

  1. Your summery pics are sublime Sandra, everything looks so refreshing!! Those triangle motifs are wonderful and that yarn looks very tempting. I've heard a lot of people mentioning the Drops range recently. I'll probably end up giving it a whirl at some point to see for myself :) I absolutely love anything duck egg blue too, so can't wait to see your project come to fruition. Have a lovely break, and safe travels. Sharron xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add that yarn to my wish list, love the colour loads! Have a great hold, I'm off next week too and will be packing lightweight crafts, too! Time to chill... Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful yarn, indeed!!!! Love your triangles!!!!
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful vacation! I love that color of blue and can't wait to see what you've made from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, it's HOT! I guess here in little Belgium we have mostly the same wheather as in the UK, it is rather strange that it didn't rain for a whole three weeks! I am absolutely loving the triangle motif for the shawl that you're making! At first I thought you were using DMC Natura Just Cotton which I have been using for a top, I'll have to check the Drops as well. Lucky you, off to la douce France! Have a wonderful and safe trip, and should you by any chance make a detour to Brussels, I will treat you to some brilliant waffles :D Bon voyage!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for finally getting some summer! My facebook has been full of pictures from everyone back home enjoying the sunshine - its great to see everyone doing summery things for a change!

    It's been pretty miserable here in South Carolina - massive thunderstorms most days so I've managed to finally finish a blanket I've been working on for a while.


    Here it is if you fancy a look - http://snapshotsandwhatnots.typepad.com/my-blog/2013/07/finally-finished-the-irish-blanket.html

    Love the little triangles - can't wait to see the shawl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, summer really came at last and England seems to have the lion's share of torrid days! Who would have guessed!
    Those crocheted triangles are just lovely and I shall look forward to seeing the end result! Thanks for the link to the cottons!
    Have a wonderful time on the French coast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I miss Pimms!! Lovely weather here too. Enjoy summer!!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely week!!! Happy BIrthday to your sweet niece!! Those feet are too cute!! Wishing you a relaxing and most lovely break! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so unusually hot at the moment but crocheting with cotton is good choice! Have a lovely holiday. Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh have an absolutely FAB time on vacay! (I know you will!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the yarn! happy birthday to your niece and have a nice vacation :D

    http://the-malachite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. we can't until summer comes around. The weather is so miserable here in australia at the moment! we are in envy of your blue skies :)

    www.mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm quite smitten with those dear little triangles. You should write a book. Really. You've a real gift for creating your own patterns. I'm intrigued to see how they'll looked joined as your summer shawl.

    I wonder if the Drops Safran is a lighter weight version of the Muskat cotton? I ordered a couple of balls and much prefer it to the splitty Paris. How exciting is it to find a whole new range of inexpensive but nice yarn?

    If I don't speak to you before you go, have a super duper time in France. I'll keep my eye out for you at the tolls!!! ;-)

    Hxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful summery post, loving the colours of the crochet and such a delicate pattern. Happy holidays ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I feel a bit envious, summer living is such fun! Your crochet triangles are beautiful and I love your knitting too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely motif for your shawl - lovely colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the look of what you're making. You choose such soft, gorgeous colours and I keep hearing how nice Drops yarn is to work with, I think I really need to try some. Enjoy your holiday, I hope it's a relaxing and wonderful time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sandra,Looks like you had a lot of fun!!!Hope you have a fantastic holiday and see you soon!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving the colour of that crochet!


    Have a wonderful holiday Sandra :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is this your own pattern for the cute little triangles, or can you direct us to the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sandra your projects are beautiful. I am anxious to see everything all done up. Have a lovely holiday Dear! We will catch you when you get back :)))
    TaTa for Now,
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
  23. That caplet is so cute. I'm going to have to put some effort into knitting myself one of those.

    ReplyDelete